.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

UK Against Fluoridation

Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Get reliable data, opinions on fluoridated drinking water

Get reliable data, opinions on fluoridated drinking water
Read Comments(2)Recommend (1)Print this page E-mail this article
Share this article: Del.icio.us Facebook Digg Reddit Newsvine What’s this?
To members of the Port Huron City Council: Please allow me to introduce myself. I am Dr. Annette Mercatante, the new provisional medical director of the St Clair County Health Department.
My background is in family practice in this community. I also live and am raising my son in this area.
My job is to assess the health care needs of this community, develop and implement policy to achieve public health goals and to enforce these policies. I am honored to have this position and will work diligently for the benefit of our community.

In this manner, we share similar responsibilities for the health and welfare of this town. I am sure you take this responsibility as seriously as I do, and I look forward to our future interactions.

I encourage you to consider both the pros and cons of fluoride supplementation in municipal water. There have been more than 50 years of experience, debate and study of this issue. It can be very confusing, and even more so when there are organized, coordinating efforts to disrupt this service.

I was dismayed by the seemingly large amount of anti-fluoride information, until I began to track down sources for the "data." With the exception of fluorosis (a cosmetic concern of mottled teeth from excessive fluoride ingestion), there is little clinically-relevant data that negates the value of using this supplement.

The dangers cited on various Web sites, and by anti-fluoride coalitions, often are taken out of context and made to look worse or different than what the real data shows. Likewise, there are expert coalitions formed by independent researchers with excellent resources and training that have repeatedly evaluated this area.

Each study has supported the ongoing use of fluoride for children and adults. I cannot find any reference to eliminating fluoride for any age group, although there have been discussions of lowering the maximum EPA guidelines from 4ppm to 2ppm.

As we consider this issue of health and welfare for our citizens, please consider this: If your child were facing a serious dental or health problem, would you take the advice of a health food store clerk (one of the "sources" I found while talking to a flouride opponent) or a leading expert in science, epidemiology and health?

When I run into a medical problem with which I am unfamiliar or uncertain, I first do no harm. I pause, collect more data, discuss and read, then try to reformulate my opinion.

This approach has been very helpful to me through the years, and I urge you to allow me to continue utilizing these skills in assisting you in this decision, which would clearly impact the health and welfare of all our citizens.

Thank you for allowing me to contribute. If you have any questions or comments, I urge you to call me: (810) 987-5300 ext. 135, or e-mail me at amercatante@stclaircounty.org.
Dr. Annette Mercatante is the new provisional medical director of the St. Clair County Health Department.

thecodemonk wrote:

I wrote the city manager and the city council. I cited many publications from scientific journals and research reports on the negative health affects (including cancer in children) that ingesting fluoride can cause. I have only received a response from Mark Bryne, so far. He shared the same viewpoint that I do. All of the professionals say research proves it has positive benefits, but when asked, can never cite the proof or the research they got the information from. He said he is voting to remove fluoride from our drinking water.
I also sent an e-mail to Dr. Mercatante citing the numerous scientific journals and research by real scientists that prove fluoride is harmful. I have yet to receive a response.
I am very concerned that we have a lot of professionals using their credentials as proof that their opinions are fact. They are not fact. Many organizations, including the CDC and the EPA have changed their stances on fluoride.
4/22/2008 2:55:52 PM
Recommend Report Abuse


barbara27 wrote:

I was born and raised in Kimball Twp on well water - there was no flouride added to the water. My teeth along with my siblings and parents are completly healthy and strong. I have lived in Port Huron now for 11 years. There really isn't any need for the flouride added if you and the other family members are brushing, flossing and rinsing correctly. My opinion is for the city to save the money for more important uses - roads, lighting, and the emergency personnel.


I agree with the title but not her findings - "fluorosis is only cosmetic" apart from the huge cost to make it right it is a sign of toxic poisoning.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home