.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

UK Against Fluoridation

Thursday, July 31, 2008

Children's Choppers

Children's Choppers
Contributed by Shawn Arnold - Posted: July 30, 2008 9:00:00 AM
Even a mom that has had kids for what seems like ages can learn something new. On a recent visit to a dental cleaning and checkup for my little angels, I learned a few extra things.
As my friendly family hygienist, Jenny, was schooling me on the proper pediatric dental etiquette, I explained a little of what I do. She armed me with some great information to pass along to you parents.
Ever hear of dental fluorosis? Not me.
This is one of the reasons children's toothpaste doesn't contain fluoride. I knew not to use fluoridated toothpaste on my little ones, but I didn't know for how long. Jenny explained how important it was for children to not use toothpaste that is fluoridated, aka adult toothpaste, until children reach the age of six years old.
If you let you child use fluoridated toothpaste too soon, you run the risk of them developing dental fluorosis. I went online and looked up more information about this result. Wikipedia included pictures of the effects of over fluoride exposure.
Another tip that Jenny, a mom herself, told me; if you can only seize your child once a day to brush their teeth, the most important time of the day to brush is before bedtime. Of course you should shoot for often -- two to three times a day -- but get them good at night.
The other important thing she wanted to stress to the mommy public is soda consumption.
Jenny started telling me all about how terrible sodas are for your teeth. Ryan takes this time to chime in - cute as can be with his dental bib and raised in the chair almost to the ceiling - how he's a HUGE fan of Mountain Dew. Great timing, kiddo!
According to The Academy of General Dentistry, long-term soda drinking erodes tooth enamel because many soft drinks have high PH levels, making them nearly as corrosive as battery acid.
If you consider the range, it almost makes you wonder why any of us drink sodas???
Water has a PH of 7.0 and battery acid is 1.0. The major soda manufactures' products come in at around a PH of 2.5. Yikes!

Thanks Jenny for a great dental visit and valuable information to arm all of us moms with. And for all to know, Ryan was cavity free. Austin, on the other hand--..
shawn.arnold@polkmoms.com
www.polkmoms.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home