.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

UK Against Fluoridation

Saturday, September 26, 2009

UK - Daily Echo - Ignored her? I've met this lady!

Ignored her? I've met this lady!

ANNAPeckham (Letters, September 17 'Ignore us at your peril') alleges I have not responded individually to her letters concerning fluoridation.

It is true that I have written to every constituent who has contacted me on this issue with standard updates as the fluoride debate went on. However I also met personally with Ms Peckham in Parliament to discuss fluoridation. At that meeting I told her and other campaigners that I would be calling on the Strategic Health Authority to put their decision on hold due to the level of public opposition that has been voiced both during and after the SHA's official consultation period, while a proper and independent review of the consultation was carried out.

I absolutely understand that, while the judicial review of the SHA's decision is going on, fluoridation remains an emotive issue for many.

However, I hope you would agree that to say I have 'ignored' Ms Peckham is not a fair or accurate characterisation of my contact with her or other campaigners.

ALAN WHITEHEAD MP.

Comment from Anna

He may have met me but it doesn't alter the fact that he has never sent an individual reply to my letters. I have never had a personal reply from him addressing the particular issues I have written to him about - just two photocopied standard letters during the whole campaign, one turning up out of the blue a few months after I originally wrote to him. Therefore I am correct to state that "Alan Whitehead has not responded to any of my letters with an individual reply just a photocopied standard letter that others too have received". It is a fact and something I have thought was a poor way to treat a constituent. By contrast, every other MP in the area has responded individually to their constituents' letters. He is right to say it is an emotive issue but more importantly, because it is an undemocratic decision that affects thousands of local people, it is vital people can address their concerns through their MPS and receive a personal reply.

Anna

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home