.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

UK Against Fluoridation

Friday, June 24, 2011

Ireland - People are not aware of the consequences of fluoride in our water

Galway Advertiser, June 23, 2011.
Dear Editor,
I am writing as a concerned member of the public regarding the serious issue of water fluoridation in Ireland. From talking to people I have realised that many, like me until recently, do not know that fluoride is added to our water supply and are shocked to learn about its health consequences.

A few months ago, I attended a talk on water fluoridation in Ireland by Mr Walter Graham in Monroe’s, Galway city. It was extremely shocking to say the least. Walter Graham was a leading figure in the successful campaign to remove fluoride from the water supply in Northern Ireland. Presenting the bare facts to the people and officials in Northern Ireland, it was not difficult to convince them to remove it from their water supply! Mr Graham highlighted that numerous studies show that fluoride can cause dental fluorosis, irritable bowel syndrome, osteoporosis, cancer and more. This is not surprising when one learns that the fluoride put in our water is a toxic waste product imported from Spain I also learned that Ireland (excluding Northern Ireland) is the only country in Europe to add fluoride to our water.

The more I learned about this subject, the angrier I got! I realised fluoride is actually a medicine being added to our water and I am being medicated against my will. I have never asked to take fluoride and I have never received any information on the side effects of taking this medication. My anger, however, gave rise to action and I joined the Safe Water Campaign, Galway. We meet regularly in Monroe’s and all concerned citizens are welcome to attend.

What has horrified me most of all in my learning is the fact that bottle-fed babies are ingesting way more fluoride than breast-fed babies. Of course, nature is aware of the toxicity of fluoride and a tiny amount is produced in breast milk. In fact, Dr. Paul Connett, a leading expert on the issue, states that fluoride is 100-200 times lower in concentration in mother’s milk than what we put in our water. So a bottle-fed baby will get 100-200 times more fluoride than a breast-fed baby. I wonder how many mothers are aware of this?

Fluoride is supposedly added to the water to prevent tooth cavities in teenagers. So to target a small minority of people the Government basically forces all members of the public to take fluoride! As well as the health risks, there is a huge ethical question here. Also, the former Green Party leader, John Gormley said a few years ago that 40 per cent of Irish 15 year olds suffer from dental fluorosis ie fluoride poisoning! Maybe it’s time we re-thought this crazy practice?

I do hope you will print this letter as a means of letting the people of Galway know the real dangers of the substance we consume every day through drinking, bathing, showering and eating. If people want to find out more, please have a look at the Facebook™ page ‘Say No To Fluoride In Ireland’s Water’ and www.irishfluoridescandal.org or contact Paul Murphy on 085 1659402.
Yours,
Ciara Coy,
Galway

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home